Building a Web Site
This week I tried to build a portfolio site for this class. I’ll admit that I thought it was not going to be difficult. I was wrong. However, my digital skills will improve with time.
First, I set up Blue Host and my domain name, then linked my FTP with the server. I created a new site in Dreamweaver that hooked up to the FTP software, as well. It took a couple of hours and numerous chats with Blue Host’s 24/7 tech support to accomplish this setup. This initial step was the most difficult for me in the website-building process- just figuring out how to get started. I realized how important communication is within the digital community.
Next, I used a Dreamweaver template to structure my homepage. That step was easy enough, but then editing the HTML code to customize the site created an obstacle. I did not understand every code in the template, like <tr> and <td> for tables and content boxes. Choosing colors, creating lists and headers, and choosing the font-family was fun, though. The readings this week on typography impressed me with new vocabulary and new insights into good web design. The suggestion that changing a font can change a person’s mood or reaction to the text is powerful, as is the ability of a font or a font’s kerning to grab and hold a reader’s attention. I am still playing around with different font-families, but I promise I won’t resort to Helvetica.
The last step in this assignment is to create content. I have to consider how to present my academic and professional self to the digital world, officially. I want to convey academic seriousness, but also a little bit of my personality.
Portfolio Site so far: http://www.saracollini.org